Bad Keywords Make Bad Campaigns
Thorough keyword research and analysis should be the foundation of any SEO campaign. All too often, however, this crucial step is rushed through far too quickly, resulting in an inferior list of keywords and keyword phrases to target. Regardless of how carefully your site is optimized from this point forward, your efforts will miss the mark. Talk about frustrating!
Stop Targeting the Wrong Keywords
The longer you base your SEO campaign on less-than-optimal keywords and key phrases, the longer you’ll wait to see your ranking climb. No amount of optimization will help until you switch gears and identify keywords and phrases that will actually attract viable prospects to your site.
Choosing the Right Keywords For Your Website
Targeting the wrong keywords can still attract traffic to a website. Most often, however, it is the wrong traffic. Getting people to land on your page isn’t enough. It’s not about the numbers; it’s about conversions. My keyword research services are designed to identify keywords that will attract people who actually want what you have to offer.
My Keyword Research Services
When it comes to identifying the right keywords for an SEO campaign, quality trumps quantity every time. I can pinpoint keywords and phrases that will give you the best possible return on your investment. I use a variety of professional grade SEO keyword tools as well as my 20 years of online marketing experience.
My keyword services include:
- Initial Keyword Discovery – Through the use of a variety of online tools and input from you and your team, I develop a comprehensive list of relevant keywords and phrases for your site. This initial, broad list lays the foundation for what is to come.
- Narrowing Things Down – It is impractical to try to optimize for every conceivable keyword and phrase. You don’t want to attract the most visitors; you want to attract the right ones. The next step, therefore, is narrowing down the initial list. This means eliminating keywords that won’t attract the right users. By knowing your target demographic, for example, you can eliminate certain keywords. Similarly, keywords that are too generic are eliminated. We will also consider search volume.
- Long-Tail Keyword Discovery – Working off of the whittled-down list of keywords and phrases, I develop a list of long-tail keywords. These are lower volume phrases that are shown to have a high probability of generating conversions and sales. Including this level of specificity is a great way to draw in users who are ready to act. For instance “Best plumber in Dallas”.
- Competitive Keyword Analysis – I also analyze a handful of your top competitors to see which keywords and phrases they are targeting. This is an excellent way to identify highly effective keywords that may steer some users away from the competition and over to your site. You can read my blog post on the importance of seo competitor research.
- City Specific Targeting – While conducting this research, I also take user location into consideration. If you are only interested in targeting users from a specific region, it makes sense to target keywords and phrases that tend to be used in that part of the world. Of course, if you are not restricted geographically, this step isn’t quite as important.
- Local SEO Keyword Targeting – Speaking of user location, if you need to market goods and services on a local level, I can customize my research to target keywords that will boost your standing in the local search engine listings. I am highly adept at optimizing websites for local SEO, and selecting the correct locally relevant keywords and phrases plays a huge part in that.
- User Intent – Finally, as great as tools and technology are, they can’t tell us what users are actually trying to do. As a part of my research, I consider user intent while searching for keywords. This is another great way to zero in on buyers as opposed to browsers. For example, the phrase “hire a plumber in dallas” reveals a lot more about the user’s intent than the phrase “diy plumbing”
Why are keywords important?
Nothing is worse than pouring tons of time and money into an SEO campaign and having little or nothing to show for it. Most of the time, poor keyword choices are the culprit. Unlike many SEO consultants, I understand the importance of this crucial step and dedicate the time, energy and skill that are needed to identify the best, most profitable keywords for your campaign. I am ready to help. Contact me today to get started!